The Shore

The Shore

Monday, August 18, 2008

A summer day


This is the actual view from deck this morning. I live in a lovely spot. It is calm (except when it storms), it is picturesque and it changes constantly. In previous years there have been many herons, but they have abandoned this particular cove this year. I don't think it is climate change, perhaps the changes from tropical storm Noel last fall, but there are just fewer birds this year.

Every morning, I worry, though, about wars, and genocide, about poverty and the comodification of all I hold dear. Most of the land I see from my door is parkland - but that could change. I worry about the ravaging of the ocean, and sea level rising, and loss of bio-diversity. I worry about how we have created countries with great wealth and incredible resources and yet govern them for the benefit of the few (wealthy and corporations) rather than the many. I wonder why there are no AIDS drugs for Africans, and why, in Nova Scotia, there is no supervision of children at school for lunch when the vast majority of children come from either single parent or two parent working families.

I wonder about the selling of water, and land, and energy - like oil - and I wonder what really holds up the development and distribution of alternatives to oil. I wonder why Canadians allow the tar sands to so pollute the environment and then send all that oil to the US for a royalty that is less than most other places and that benefits only a few Albertans (probably the wealthy ones - though I cannot prove that) . . . I wonder why we would consider turning water into a commodity and how to stop it.

I wonder why people continue to vote for cats. See : http://www.saskndp.com/history/mouseland.html for the written story,

or see:
for a youtube video taken from the movie version of the life of Tommy Douglas.

Whatever musings more must wait - life calls . . . work and small children

No comments: