The Shore

The Shore

Monday, May 24, 2010

Patience, crying, confusion and Dances of Universal Peace

Saying that one should be patient and withstand trouble doesn’t mean one should be defeated and overcome. The whole purpose of engaging in the practice of patience is to become stronger in mind, stronger in heart. And you also want to remain calm. If you lose patience and your brain becomes confused with emotion, you will lose the power to analyze and figure out how to overcome the negative force that is opposing you. ~~~ Dalai Lama
I think I am pretty patient - I am patient with the grand children, usually patient waiting in lines, and goodness knows I have been patiently waiting my whole lfe for a change in the way the world works. (I really thought that capitalism would fall apart in my lifetime - It is such a bad way to organize things for people and the planet.) I want to "clear my mind" so that I can "figure out how to overcome the negative force that is opposing" me. I am taking this quote (above) from the Dalai Lama to heart this morning, because one outcome of my injury/accident is that even more than before(and it was considered a problem, before!) I cry easily. I don't cry because someone has hurt my feelings. I sometimes cry in pain, but usually I cry, because I am powerless to stop Monsanto, to build affordable housing, or because a plane crashed in India, or Israel killed unarmed young teen Palestinians, or some woman was stoned to death for adultery after a rape - I don't know how to get patient and emotionless about the world.

I cannot do yoga, ride a bike or paddle a kayak - I can walk. (Broken vertebrae - so-called burst L3 on Feb 1st) I need something that is easy and not "vigorous" and yet is calming and distracting and I thought today about something I don't think I can indulge in, in Halifax. In the past, in Toronto, I attended "Dances of Universal Peace" - I loved it - it was a fantastic way to meditate - while dancing and singing/chanting - simple movements and chants/songs and you are soon removed from your emotional reaction to things and feeling calm and relaxed - at least that was my experience.

My brain does become "confused with emotion" and I do I think I lose the power to analyze - I do get over the emotion quickly and it doesn't stop me from getting on with things - but it does cause ripples in the world around me - it upsets others, and I think it makes me murky indeed, in my thinking, even if only temporarily. In addition, one of the songs that I learned (but, of course do not remember) was a song to Kwan Yin (Quan Yin) goddess of compassion and wellness... We held the world in our arms and walked and chanted holding the world between our spread arms out in front of us. While holding the world in our arms, we were coached to imagine that we were loving the world intensely, and yet we were separated from the pain of the world and able to hold it at arms length. I need to practice more of that. . .
http://dancesofuniversalpeace.org/photo_album/cave_flags2.jpgThis image is by Bob Spencer and can be found on the website of the Dances of Universal Peace. Click on image for link.

So I am looking for suggestions. If not Dances of Universal Peace (and remember no bending or twisting, no exercise other than walking - I can dance a little as long as it is not "ballistic") and a limited ability to meditate for more than 10 minutes at a time. I could do so for longer after yoga but now that my body is either sluggish or pent up it is much harder - also hard to find a completely comfortable position as I am in, at least a little pain, most of the time.

Suggestions?

No comments: